Saturday, September 10, 2011

Weekend in Cadiz & More!

Us at the bodega for sherry tasting


Ashley and I outside of the cathedral-Sevilla


                                                        
                                      View from the top of the cathedral


                                                         the ascent...half way up!


Hello everyone!
I know it has been a while since I have written. Classes Monday-Friday and weekend excursions don't leave me much time to write! Things are going really well here. I finally feel like I'm blending in with the  Sevillanos! Last weekend, my friends and I wanted to get away for the weekend so we went to Cadiz, a charming little city on the west coast. Cadiz is famous for being a part of the sherry triangle, the three cities which are world-renowned for their production of sherry. We took a ferry over to the puerta de santa maria to sample the sherry on day 1, and afterwards we walked around the city to explore. Later that evening, we went to get tapas at a cute little bar around the corner and afterwards, we decided to go on a night tour w/ some other friends from our hostal. The next morning, I was determined to find a Catholic Church, but no one could tell me where to find one!  I just decided to set out on my own in hopes of running into one, and somehow I found one that was beginning the minute I walked in! The church was beautiful, and even though I didn't understand much of the homily, I still felt very much a part of it. After church, we went to the beach for the day. The beaches here are absolutely beautiful! We caught the train back to Sevilla around 5, and we were so happy to get back! It has truly become home to us. Ashley and I rented bikes here and have been riding them everywhere, even to the bars in our high heels! It's made everything a lot easier, because we are so far away from everything and taxis are expensive! My Spanish is improving more every day, as I am forced to communicate with the locals every day. I can't wait to move to Almeria in 2 weeks and actually start teaching! However, I am going to miss Juanita's cooking and all of my friends here in Sevilla:) More updates later!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a beautiful and lucky young lady!
    Char (a old friend of your father).

    ReplyDelete